Sunday, February 26, 2023

Mrs. Thompson rushed from the Captains quarters

 Page 8.

Mrs. Thompson rushed from the Captains quarters carrying an army blanket in one hand and a large bowie knife in the other. As she wrapped the mutilated body inside the blanket she cursed the brutality of the Apache swearing to even the score if given the chance. It was at that moment the dead blue Apache began to move, instantly Mrs. Thompson was on him with the knife at his throat and fire in her eyes. One of the soldiers dashed toward her while the other wrestled the knife from her hand but this didn't stop her. She again launched herself on top of the Apache clawing and screaming like a hell cat and clamped both hands around his neck. But before she could finish her mission of fury and justice the wounded blue Apache yelled out his name, “It's me, “Bacho”. Mrs. Thompson sat silent still straddling somewhat sidesaddle as she released her death grip and was lifted off Bacho by two astonished soldiers. Not seriously wounded but every much alive Bacho spoke in a whisper, “my people forced me to do this”,  he choked, “they hold my granddaughter and threatened to kill her”. Captain Thompson ordered the men back to their stations and after assessing Bacho's wounds were not life threatening he was confined to the same stockade used to hold my father but this time a new lock was provided. 

By now the afternoon sun was beginning to slip behind a distant mountain side dotted with silver gray boulders of granite and tall Ponderosa pines. One of the soldiers dug a shallow grave along side the southern wall of the pueblo as I watched him flatted the earth with his army spade and make the sign of the cross with a silver rosary he worn around his neck. Mrs. Thompson ran to my side and hugged me smearing blood and blue paint all over my red checkered shirt nearly faded white by the sun. I stood traumatized of what had just occurred in front to me and with all my will I tried to block the scene from my mind but I couldn't. The horror of what just happened seemed like a nightmare but it wasn't, it was real and fear once again began to strangle my soul to death. Was this the devil himself doing these wicked things free to torture and torment any living thing in this land of such sheer beauty made by God for all of us to live in peace? Captain Thompson was now on horseback shouting out more orders and directing the men to barricade the area where the Apache had ridden in when he turned his mount toward us and shouted, “Woman are you out of your mind, you two were ordered to stay inside”. 

Mrs. Thompson turned me loose and raise her head toward the Captain and glared with her teeth clenched and her lips held tight. Even the Captains horse stood at attention as Mrs. Thompson spoke in a low and defiant tone, “I will never stand by and allow the desecration of this child’s father in that manner or to any member of this troop so help me God”. Captain Thompson momentarily began to sputter and tried to respond but thought better of it and requested we both for the time being retreat to his quarters until the fort was secured.  We swiftly raced toward the Captains quarters only stopping briefly to retrieve Mrs. Thompson Bowie Knife that one of the soldiers reluctantly returned to her. And as we bolted the door shut we both clearly heard Captain Thompson say to his horse, “she's gone now so you can move”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary Frances O'Brien was an ambitious

 A dog named Scout Page 1. Mary Frances O'Brien was an ambitious High School senior with a bright future and a desire to succeed. She wa...