Thursday, July 28, 2022

Roosters in Daly City?

 There's something afoul here? Discharging a firearm withing the city limits is against the law and Daly City is no exception. I was investigating a case regarding a dispute between two neighbors over a crowing rooster in a seedy part of the city. Maybe it's the constant fog or the on again off again light drizzle of rain with some periods of sunlight that irritates folks but it can be at times depressing. Now my compliant a thirty something guy just new to the neighborhood took issue over a elderly woman who lived next door and owned two chickens and a rooster. To make matters worse my thirty something's balcony overlooked my poultry owners yard and it was alleged he was taking pot shots at the foul with a high powered air rifle. Nothing ever good comes out of bypassing the law and settling the situation your own way and hopefully my intervention into this matter could be abated without any bloodshed. I met with my thirty something first, however; you only get one try at a first impression and smelling like beer and weed with some white powdery residue around your nostrils is not a character builder? He said the habitual crowing throughout the night was annoying and swore up and down he never shot at anything? My rooster owner lived on one of the few remaining large parcels of land still in the city. The property was surrounded by large cypress tree's and the residence was a small cottage located in the middle of the property. As I approached the house two hens ran by and before I could knock the front door opened.  The owner was a sweet grandmother type with long gray hair covered with a bandana and she was neatly dressed and the house was tidy and well kept. I asked her if she owned a rooster and told her they weren't allowed within the city limits. She replied she didn't any longer and told me she give it away just recently to friends that own a farm. I was just getting ready to leave when suddenly a rooster began to crow from inside the house. Grandma's face flushed red and her blue robin's egg colored eye's welled up with tears, she quickly went into another room and returned holding a large red rooster with a bandaged wing. "I think he'll make it", she said,' but he just needs a little rest'. She told me, 'I was born in this house and never left it even with all the new houses going up all around me'. I told her not to worry and I'll check with the city planning department for a possible exemption. I recontacted my thirty something with a update and advised him his elderly neighbors son who resides on the bench as a superior court judge for North San Mateo County would like to speak with him to resolve the matter. My thirty something's face began to contort and he stood somewhat frozen like he just stepped in a very large cow patty? "I'd like to drop my complaint", he said, "I'm moving anyway", and silently crawled back into his house like a crosseyed sewer rat. Well, weeks past without a word and somehow I never did contact the city planning department and while in the neighborhood on a unrelated detail I heard a rooster crowing coming from a property surrounded in numerous cypress trees. The skies were clear what day something unusual for Daly City at this time of year. So I look up, smiled and said to myself, today is going to be a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary Frances O'Brien was an ambitious

 A dog named Scout Page 1. Mary Frances O'Brien was an ambitious High School senior with a bright future and a desire to succeed. She wa...