Wednesday, September 21, 2022

I knew John was just here at this very spot

 Page 3.


I knew John was just here at this very spot I was standing and I could still smell a bag of sugar cookies straight from our kitchen and he was with others I didn’t know. There wasn’t time to think as I watched the ship move further away and I couldn’t let him leave without me so I jumped into the water and started to swim after it. The water was frigid  but not cold enough to stop me as I pushed my way through a large wake left behind by the cargo ship but the vessel began to look smaller and smaller and my journey from the farm just to get here was taking it‘s toll. Suddenly a low pitched siren wailed from the departing ship followed by several bells ringing and then a man’s voice blasted the surrounding harbor, “ Deck to Commander, Deck to Commander, this is the Bridge, we are being followed by a dog, Sir”.  Commander Wilson ran from the wheelhouse and scanned the water with a pair of binoculars scanning the Scottish port and noticed a golden body swimming desperately after them.

“Well I’ll be a monkey’s uncle”, replied the Commander who immediately ordered a boat in the water and shouted, “ get to him quick men, he’s starting to fade”. Suddenly a longboat with men dressed in blue quickly pulled up beside me and a tall man with long arms reached over and grabbed me by my leather collar.  Another man lifted my hindquarters from the water as the tall man wrapped me in a warm blanket. “Good catch Mr. Roberts”, shouted the men, as Mr. Roberts sat down and held me while we returned to the ship. “What do you thing he’s was doing out there, Mr. Roberts”, asked one of the men. “My guess is he wasn’t about to have his owner leave him behind?” replied Mr. Roberts. The men all agreed that my owner was more likely a stowaway aboard their ship and I was going to be the one to find him. Just as quickly we were all aboard and almost instantly a large group of sailors gathered all around me. “You’re a very lucky fellow”, said one of the men as he offered me some fresh water and biscuit.

Suddenly all the men stepped away from me and came to attention as Commander Wilson stood looking down at me while still holding his binoculars. “I’ve seen some sights on the seven seas and in this world but none so very pure and true as the actions of man’s best friend”. Commander Wilson knelt down and began to stroke my forehead and looked up toward Mr. Roberts the Naval Ensign aboard the ship. “Mr. Roberts” said the Commander, “I want you to take care of our ships first civilian passenger and see to it he’s made comfortable. “It would be an honor to serve such a brave fellow”, replied Mr. Roberts. As I stood near Mr. Roberts I overheard one of the men updating Commander Wilson of the possibility of a stowaway. Commander Wilson replied that prior to leaving port the ship was thoroughly searched and no unauthorized personal was discovered. How could that be I thought to myself, he must be wrong, John has to be aboard this ship. “Mr. Roberts”, spoke Commander Wilson”, our orders have changed, we are not going to New York instead we have be assigned to the South Pacific so make way for the Philippines”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary Frances O'Brien was an ambitious

 A dog named Scout Page 1. Mary Frances O'Brien was an ambitious High School senior with a bright future and a desire to succeed. She wa...