Thursday, September 22, 2022

The mood on the ship shifted dramatically

 Page 4.

The mood on the ship shifted dramatically as word spread of our new assignment but the men and supplies we carried on the ship was now disparately needed by our forces on several small islands surrounding the Philippines. The voyage would take approximately three weeks of zigzagging across the Pacific if an effort to avoid any detention from German U-boats or the Japanese who were suspected of entering the war and throwing in with the Germans. Some of the men was solemn after orders were given our mission was classified preventing them from notifying their families regarding why we wouldn’t be docking in New York. Over the next few days I searched ever inch of the ship for any trace of John but Commander Wilson was correct there wasn’t any evidence he ever boarded the vessel at all. I followed Mr. Roberts everywhere like a lost puppy but he knew I wasn’t myself and he caught me looking down into a empty hatchway. He knelt down on one knee and brushed my shoulder and said, “ couldn’t find him boy, you know sometimes I feel a lot like you do when someone I love is missing or can‘t be found”. 

“How’s he doing? Mr. Roberts asked Commander Wilson who stopped momentary while walking the deck alone. “ He’s still a little lost Sir, but he’s a strong willed dog and he wasn’t given up on searching for his master”. Commander Wilson replied, “ take care Mr. Roberts, if we survive this war I promise you we will bring him home when this is all over. “ His name is Maxwell Sir, I found it written under his collar and a local of that town. “What’s a fine name for him”, replied Commander Wilson and as he continue his stroll he said. “ Mr. Roberts and first mate Maxwell, carry on”. I guess I found myself in something I could have never imagined and I deeply missed my family and the farm and I knew they must be worried sick but the men aboard the ship never allowed me to waste away and become depressed. There was a thing called a baseball I loved to chase and bring back to the men who threw it over and over again and there was the galley where a cook named Smokey never ran out to meat scraps for me. I even tasted homemade beer and spirits which the men asked me never tell or show Mr. Roberts or especially Commander Wilson where it was kept. 

The journey at sea as long and never seem to end and the men were always on guard especially when constant sightings of German U-boats were reported in the area. At times I found myself longing for home wondering if I would ever see my family again or the people of my land called Scotland. Mr. Roberts brought me to the upper deck and together we scanned the horizon on a day of calm sea’s and clear blue skies when suddenly he pointed to a tiny dot so far off into the distance I could barely see it. “Look , Maxwell, look there, it’s just one of the many island’s off the coast of the Philippines  and our journey is almost over”. Mr. Roberts wasn’t the only one to notice the islands and not knowing complete chaos was just about to happen. In a instant a sailor rushed toward us and requested me leave the deck immediately and to report to our emergency station aboard the ship. “It’s a U-boat Mr. Roberts, it’s been tailing us for the last hour”, reported the sailor. Mr. Roberts and I ran to his cabin and I watched as he readied himself with a lifejacket and helmet. Before I knew it he fashioned one of the lifejackets over my body and said, “ It’s another time to be brave Maxwell, now I want you to stay in my cabin until I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary Frances O'Brien was an ambitious

 A dog named Scout Page 1. Mary Frances O'Brien was an ambitious High School senior with a bright future and a desire to succeed. She wa...