Tuesday, September 20, 2022

The following week went on as usual

 Page 2.

The following week went on as usual as I continued to guard the vegetable garden from our nonstop eating goats but John remained quiet and subdued until the weeks ends when my fears of him leaving were realized. It was Saturday and every Saturday Alice prepared a morning breakfast before John and I rounded up the cows for milking. Kate fussed in her highchair spilling her milk while Charles laced up his boots for another long day of chords. Alice looked at me like she always did on Saturdays to wake John from his bed so I ran upstairs to his room but the door was locked. I scratched at the door and then barked loudly but I knew something was wrong. I heard no movement no footsteps no breathing, nothing but the sound of emptiness. By now Charles was standing behind me and he knock on the door and called out Johns name but we were both met with nothing but silence.

Charles tried the door but it was locked but almost instantly he forced the it open like a charging bull. John was gone and his bed was still made but there on the dresser was a letter addressed to the family, Charles quickly opened it and began to read. Dear Mother and Father, I know your deeply disappointment in my decision to leave for America but this is something I must do on my own. Please kiss dear Kate for me and hold my loyal Maxwell near to you. Love always, John.  By now Alice stood next to him and she began to cry, I laid down near the bed and watched as they stood weeping together but I knew where John had gone and I was determined to find him. I bolted from the room and sprung out the front door and at a full run I headed for the harbor just a five mile stretch of the legs from our farm. It was just a half an hour later when I passed the Grey House and as I raced through town as Mr. McKay had just pulled up in his rusty old car. “Slow down boy”, shouted the pub owner but there was no slowing in this race as others turned and watched my dust.

John stood hidden behind some large wooden cargo boxes marked USA and waited as a soldier left the gangplank leaving an opening to enter the ship unseen. Suddenly a large hand from behind grabbed John from the collar and spun him around like a top. There stood the Town’s constable Officer D. Hanley who was flanked by two armed US soldiers. “You wouldn’t be thinking of stowing away on that fine ship now would you”, asked the constable who knew John from birth. Officer Hanley continue, “ I"ll  just bet your parent's are worried sick by now lad so what do you say we go see them. John stood shocked as well as speechless as the two burly soldiers assisted the constable in securing John to the backseat of his car and together they all sped off to the Jameson’s farm. The US cargo ship now prepared to make it’s way to depart and as the last of the ropes were cast off and a small tug boat pushed the ship toward as she slowly moved out of the harbor. Maxwell finally reached the harbor tired and exhausted and watched the ship as it began to power out of the tidy Scottish fishing port.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary Frances O'Brien was an ambitious

 A dog named Scout Page 1. Mary Frances O'Brien was an ambitious High School senior with a bright future and a desire to succeed. She wa...