Saturday, August 6, 2022

Before i could open the sack....

Before I could open the sack the tiny creature inside began to cry and I immediately recognized the sound. Quickly I untied the sack as a furry head emerged and at the same time I  cradled the golden pup in my arms. “It's her puppy”,  I yelled out in amazement wondering how she managed to survive the night all alone without her mother. It wasn't long before Mrs. Thompson arrived with some mashed up army stew and red eyed gravy and we both watched the tiny pup bolt down the fixings from a tin plate in an instant. I never knew how a pup could eat so fast as Mrs. Thompson fetched a bucket of fresh spring water and we laughed together watching the pup climb inside for a drink and a bath at the same time.  As I found comfort in this moment Mrs. Thompson's face began to appeared grim as she slowly walked away from one of the soldiers from scouting party sent out to find my father. I knew what that look meant having seen it from my own father's face at the time my mother passed but I had prepared myself knowing the life my father had lead would only come to a tragic end.  Before Mrs. Thompson could utter a work I told her I knew my father was dead and with all his faults the true feelings of sorrow and grieve grasped me by the throat making me speechless.


I tried not to cry but I couldn't control the racing thoughts of pain and sadness and what would I do now, all alone without any family in the middle of a hostile territory where the law as kill or be killed. Captain Thompson walked toward me with his pipe in hand joining his wife as she held me near while the rest of the soldiers stood silent sharing my loss. Each man approached me and offered their condolences but while still unable to speak I shook their hands one by one without a word being spoken. Just then one of the men shouted out pointing toward the southeast, “Captain, look”. Large gray and white streams of smoke began to rise from a nearby hilltop within two miles or so from the outpost. And then there was another just west from the first and while we all watched the smoke rising there came a third. It was obvious to all we were being surrounded as the men quickly secured the horses and prepared for an attack. I scooped up the puppy and headed for my quarters without a moment hesitation while Captain Thompson readied his men for a fight.


I had just bolted the door when a rifle shot rang out followed by the wicked screams of a group of charging Apaches on horseback. The soldiers returned fired killing one naked warrior painted blue as he launched a spear at Captain Thompson and missed. I watched from my window as Mrs. Thompson frantically attempted to pull me away but I was determined to stay but later I wished I had. Two more braves followed the first firing captured army pistols at anything that moved with one holding a spear and dragging something from behind his horse. Quickly he cut the line as both braves charged through the barracks and disappeared in the high chaparrals behind the fort and just as fast the fight was over. I pulled myself from Mrs.Thompson's grasp and ran toward the men who now surrounded what the Apaches had drugged in. One of the men ran up to stop me but he was too late, there was the body of the golden puppies mother. She had been dug up where I had buried her but this was not the most horrendous thing they had done, they had removed her head and sewn on the head of my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary Frances O'Brien was an ambitious

 A dog named Scout Page 1. Mary Frances O'Brien was an ambitious High School senior with a bright future and a desire to succeed. She wa...