Sunday, August 7, 2022

Sister Mary Francis takes issue?

Sister Mary Francis takes issue? Raised a Roman Catholic and shaped by the heavy hand of the Sisters of the Holy Eucharist I respected the Church even with all the controversy, anyway I believe what's in your heart that really matters and doing almost 8 years of hard time at St. Elizabeth's Catholic School was not exactly a cake walk. Surviving 5 years as a alter boy in handcuffs while serving Mass would challenge anyone so when I was paroled in 1965 my parents immediately moved to Millbrae. Adjusting to public school was no easy feat and to say I suffered culture shock would be a understatement. So when I was dispatched to Mercy High School regarding a unknown animal in the Nun's rose garden I was prepared so I thought? Dispatch advised me to meet with Sister Mary Francis who was visually impaired ( kids, at one time it was known as blind), however; she mentioned to our dispatcher her hearing was excellent and would direct the Officer to the area in question. As I neared Mercy High thoughts ran through my head of days gone by when, while still in High School I dated a girl from Mercy. Her shoulder length red hair, blue eye's coupled with a beautiful smile we spent many a chaperoned evening honing our skills in witting and needlepoint over a candle lit parlor and flickering fireplace? But there she stood, Sister Mary Francis red tipped white can and all pacing near the entrance to the convent of what was originally the Kohl Tudor Mansion. "Good morning, Sister", I said, as she approached my opened vehicle door. "Careful of the door" I said, as she tapped it with her cane. "Did you say whore? young man", using the same tone of voice I heard will incarcerated at St. Elizabeth's? . "Heaven's no! Sister", I quickly answered, "I said door". Sister Mary Francis peered at me from over her dark wire rimmed glasses and lightly tapped me on the shoulder with her cane. "Well then follow me". Grabbing me by the collar she pulled me down a oak lined walkway that lead directly to a well maintained flower garden. "Over there she pointed, it's over there". I couldn't help but notice fresh deer tracks all over the garden area and under a large standing yellow rose stood a baby fawn. "Sister", I said, " Looks like you'll got a deer problem". " My rear is has a problem", she shouted swinging her cane and striking my shin with a crack. " Sister, please, that hurt", I cried out. "So now it's my skirt" she yelled attracting the attention of two other Nuns who now surrounded me. "What's your problem Buddy? one particularly stout Nun said as she pushed me toward a wall of thorny rose bushes. "Please Sister's, I was called out here regarding a animal in your garden. "And it appears we've found it " said the other who turned the garden hose on me. Running for cover I made it back to the truck with no further injuries but now my truck was surrounded by several more Nuns and they were rocking the truck shouting, "get out! get out". Suddenly this mob of black and white quickly cleared and there stood the parish priest. "Officer", he said, " please forgive Sister Mary Francis, she's been here 50 years and sometimes she's a handful". "Well, she's certainly well schooled with that cane", I replied. I recommended constructing a deer fence to abate the problem and drove away as Sister Mary Francis yelled out, "run you coward". I'll still keep that memory of my Mercy High redhead and to his day my needle point couldn't be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary Frances O'Brien was an ambitious

 A dog named Scout Page 1. Mary Frances O'Brien was an ambitious High School senior with a bright future and a desire to succeed. She wa...